Dis Embark Ceremony IRONMAN 70.3 SAFebruary 10, 2020
From our first swim in the tidal pool, your first hills session and then you did something called a brick. Most of you did the Warm Water Weekend triathlon on mountain bikes! You swam around the waterfront in the canals!! Then you got to the top of Chappies and Signal Hill for the 1st time! And then completed your 2nd triathlon at Theewaters kloof.
Then the coach had a big fall and ended up in hospital with complications and couldn’t swim/bike/run (basically live) for the next 10 weeks!! We teamed up in 4s for the ATC Sunset team time trial and later in Oct did the Gun Run. Slanghoek tri and it started to come together, we were looking like triathletes!!
We did more track, more camps bay swims, more simons town rides and I learned to be a great support drive in the IZUSU MuX! We did some biskop stairs and beach running, and then all klapped the 100km Sportive Ride in Perdeberg in the crazy wind!! But who would have thought the skills we learned that day to prepare us for our half IRONMAN!! We did the pub crawl from seapoint to green point to V&A Waterfront! We continued with hill work for strength both on the bike and the run, every session getting closer and closer to the mental and physical objective needed to complete the buffalo city race! I came back to teaching spinning in dec and we carried on with our big bricks to Millers Point, and our 40/5/40/5 and 20/3/20/3/20/6’s. Then it was taper and judgement time, did you do enough of the program! Rest week came and went, and then BOOM we were on the plane on route to the race!!
We had a great group this year, you know who you are, too many to name, probably the best one of all the 10 years. And I think its because we teamed up with the S Suburbs team so often!
Congratulations to the following for:
- Best Performance, Least Attendance – Travis Kridemann
- Most Improved Swimmer – Naruluska Smal
- Most Improved Biker – Dylan Bowen
- Most Improved Runner – Joel Henry
- Most Improved Overall – Andrea Bassingthwaighte
- Bravery Award – Jacqui Hough & Clara Machado
- Next Best Thing Award – Joel Henry & Cassandra da Cruz
- The New Balance Award – Nick de Haas
- Embark Dark Horse – Amy Wessels
- Top Embark Achiever Female – Cassandra da Cruz
- Top Embark Achiever Male – Joel Henry